The ticket allows you to visit also the Doge’s Palace, the Correr Museum and the Biblioteca Marciana.
A bit of history of the Archaeological Museum
The National Archaeological Museum was established in 1523 by Cardinal Domenico Grimani who left as an inheritance to the Republic of Venice a group of ancient sculptures from his private collection. Most of these works came from a vineyard near the Quirinale in Rome, where the cardinal built his own house.
His nephew Giovanni Grimani dedicated himself from the year 1563 to the expansion and decoration of the corridors of the mansion with the goal of creating an ideal setting for the exhibition of his collection. This collection was housed on the first floor of the building and consisted of almost 200 Greek and Roman sculptures that were placed in the central hall. The collection includes Roman sculptures belonging to his family, a group of marbles from the area of the continental Venice and the coast of Istria as well as some ancient sculptures of Greece. In 1587 this collection was donated to the Republic of Venice and later it was dictated that all the marbles belonging to the Grimani were housed in the entrance room of the Biblioteca Marciana (Marciana Library).
With the death of Grimani, the senators of the Republic commissioned the design and configuration of the collection to Federico Contarini. With the support of the Council of Ten and some grandchildren of the patriarch, some sculptures were abandoned at Grimani Palace while others were transferred to the "Public Sanctuary." The decoration was finished in 1596 thanks to donations from the same Federico Contarini.
Through the years there were numerous donations increasing the collection and in 1811 some statues had to be exhibited in the Doge’s Palace. During World War I the works housed in the Doge’s Palace were transferred to Florence until 1919 and 1920 that returned to Venice. During these years they adapted the "Procuratie Nuove" where they have remained for years and artistic currents until our days.
Customers who booked this museum also booked:
Open April 1st to October 31st from 10.00 am to 7.00 pm.
Open November 1st to March 31st from 10.00 am to 5.00 pm.
Closed Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
Piazza San Marco, 52 - Venice.
Reach the museums in total comfort with our transfer service!