THE DOGE’S PALACE
The Doge’s Palace is a masterpiece of Gothic Architecture and its structure includes the original foundations, the fourteenth/fifteenth-century structure, remarkable additions from the Renaissance and Mannerist details. The structure is composed in three different blocks that absorb previous constructions.
The visitors entrance to the Doge’s Palace is located in via the Porta del Frumento (Forage Gateway), so-named because the “Ufficio delle Biade” (Fodder Office) was situated nearby; which opens under the portico of the fourteenth-century facade overlooking the "Bacino San Marco". The public services and the Museo dell'Opera (Museum of the work done on the building) are located on the ground floor; the ancient palace kitchens now house the Cafeteria and a space for the temporary exhibitions.
THE CORRER MUSEUM
The Museum is composed by several sections that offer an enchanting insight into History and Art of Venice. The first section includes the Napoleonic Wing, a nineteenth-century palace built to be the seat for ceremonies; here the luxurious Neo-classical Rooms host a great collection of works by the best sculptor of the age, Antonio Canova (1757-1822).
The next rooms are the Procuratie Nuove, projected by the architect Vincenzo Scamozzi (1552-1616) and once house of some of the most important civic authorities of the Republic of Venice. The large rooms now contain collections documenting numerous aspects of Venetian History – from naval achievements to local festivities, from daily life to public institutions. The Art Collection begins beyond these rooms and continues on the upper floor.
THE ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM
The Venice National Archaeological Museum, in Saint Mark's Square, house an important collection of ancient sculptures and includes some original Greek sculptures; there are also bronzes, gems, ceramics, coins and the archaeological collection deposit coming form the Civic Correr Museum, which covers the ancient Egyptian and the Assyrian-Babylonian periods.
The collection host inside the museum is composed by works collected by important Venetian families of the 16th century.
THE BIBLIOTECA MARCIANA
The library, by Jacopo Sansovino, was built and decorated to welcome the Greek and Latin codices donated to the Republic of Venice by Cardinal Bessarion in 1468. It contains precious manuscripts, like the Breviario Grimani from the fifth century and the Worldmap of Fra Mauro, and ancient editions, including those of Aldus Manutius. On the first floor there is the Vestibule, the ceiling of which stands the painting by Titian "La Sapienza", and the hall of the library. On the vaulted ceiling of the hall you can see twenty one portraits, the work of seven artists chosen by Titian and Sansovino themselves: the most famous are the three of Paolo Veronese; on the walls are portraits of philosophers: some of them are works by Tintoretto and Veronese.
Customers who booked this museum also booked:
Doge's Palace: Open April 1st to October 31st from 8.30 am to 7.00 pm and November 1st to March 31st from 8.30 am to 5.30 pm. Closed December 25th and January 1st.
Correr Museum and Archaeological Museum: Open April 1st to October 31st from 10.00 am to 7.00 pm and November 1st to March 31st from 10.00 am to 5.00 pm. Closed December 25th and January 1st.
Biblioteca Marciana: Open Monday to Friday from 8.00 am to 7.00 pm and Saturday from 8.00 am to 1.30 pm. Closed Sunday, January 1st and 6th, April 25th, May 1st, June 2nd, August 15th, November 1st and 21st, December 8th, 25th and 26th.
Piazza San Marco, 1 - Venice.
Correr Museum and Archaeological Museum: Piazza San Marco, 52 - Venice.
Biblioteca Marciana: Piazza San Marco, 7 - Venice.
Reach the museums in total comfort with our transfer service!